Sunday, May 8, 2011

Visual Rhetoric - analysis of a handshake




The image:

This is a deceptively simple image. The simplicity is enhanced by the use of black and white photography. We see a handshake. One hand is black and the other white. A handshake conveys many things: friendship, agreement, respect. This is a pretty heavy emotional load for such a simple photograph. The use of differently colored hands brings an even deeper meaning: race relations, acceptance, equality, even a sense of camaraderie. What is not shown is gender, the dark hand is definitely more masculine but the gender of the light hand is unclear. I like that this detail is left open to interpretation. The message to me is that differences can embrace; we don’t all have to be alike. This is an image that will speak to many people in many ways, based on our personal experiences. I chose it for exactly these reasons. The message is clear, however it leaves a lot of room for individual vision, it is quiet and I believe we learn most when we listen. To me the simplicity conveys quietness that implies receptiveness to learning something new.

Logos, Pathos, Ethos, Mythos defined:

I view photography as an art form, and within art I see the ability to invoke emotion and share a message… it is not always about simple mindless entertainment. Thus the strategies of Logos (our rational logical minds) and Pathos (arousal of an emotional response) are both used with the simple expression of friendship and mutual respect framed within the contrast of race. Intellectually we know that race bias is destructive and unfair, emotionally we respond to the gesture of a handshake. Ethos or personal trust is also conveyed in the gesture of friendship. Not to be left out is mythos. This strategy I believe is the one that will have the most varied impact. We all come from different walks and as such will view this image with our own perspective. I am a white woman from a very humble origin; I worked for many years in business and technology. I know from firsthand experience that it is difficult to be a woman in a man’s world. This, my personal story, I bring to the table when viewing this image. I am in a shared community with women; my values are inspired by a fundamental belief in equality and opportunity. Another person will have a completely different life experience and as such different belief, but I believe the fundamental message remains intact.
Conclusion:
My point within this assigned blog has been to look at a place in the world that is being shaped by current events. To look with a more compassionate eye in an effort to personalize and find common ground with a people living a very different life from most who will read my work. We still have much work that needs to be done in this country before we can deem all people equal and on fair footing, but we have come a long way. My generation is not so much marked by actual racial and gender equality as it is an awareness that these levels of equality are the goal. I was very disturbed when I noticed the overt racism that seemed to be everywhere after 9/11. As if we were able to throw away our moral values because a group of people were foreign to us. This is simply unacceptable, we know better. I believe that this very simple very quiet image conveys a gentle reminder of all that.

No comments:

Post a Comment